Friday, January 28, 2005

Die to Death; Live to Life

Agustine says:
"I hesitated to die to death and to live to life..." (Book 8 Chapter 11)

I think this is the idea of concupiscence. He thought that something else on earth would satisfy him, so he hesitated giving himself over to God because I think he believed that soemthing else would be more fulfilling. When he finally was converted he basked in God. He was ultimately fulfilled by God. He no longer needed the fame and honor that he believed that his carreer would give him. He no longer needed it.

There have been many times in my own life that I have believed that other things aside from God would fulfill me. Things like having a boyfriend or sometimes going to school to get a carreer. None of those things matter in the light of eternity. When I think that in a few years or even a few weeks I could die, what will my life amount to, it makes me think of what is really impotant. Living in the way that God wants me to live is the most important, not how I do my hair, or how well I cook or sew, or how many friends I have. It is a thing easily forgotten by me. Sometimes life just passes by and after a while I think to myself "Will those days have any eternal value?" Most of the time no. Sad thing to think.

Everyday is another day to die to death and live to life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home