Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Ecclesiastes' Pursuit

I was reading Pat Loney's Blog "St. Augustine and Eccleciastes" and I wanted to write more than I commented on and so I chose to make an entry in Blog.
Augustine says:
"He is my good, and in Him I rejoice for all those good things which even as a boy I had. For my sin was in this- that I looked for pleasures, exaltations, truths not in God Himself, but in His creatures (myself the rest), and so I fell straight into sorrows, confusions, and mistakes"(39).
He looked to things instead of to God for his fulfillment and purpose for life instead of letting these things be used by him to fulfill God's purposes in his life.
This is very much like Solomon in Eccleciates who is the king over the prosperous nation of Israel. He has much wealth and wisdom and has taken part of every pleasure imaginable, yet they do not bring him fulfillment.
Augustine says:
"For see, Lord, my King and my God, I would wish everything useful which I learned as a boy to be used in your service--speaking, reading, writing, arithmetic, all" (33).

I think he is saying that all that he has learned has no meaning unless they are used to glorify God and for His purposes.

What was Solomn's final conclusion?
He says, "Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.
Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
For this is the whole duty of man.
For God will bring every deed into judegement,
including every hidden thing,
whether it is good or evil."

In essence everything is vain without God being the core center of life. He is saying that life not centered on God is purposeless and meaningless. I believe that they are saying the same thing. I do not believe either of them are saying that wisdom in and of itself is vain, but that without using it for God's glory it is vain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home