Friday, January 14, 2005

Theologian Comic

I was thinking about the comic the other day that was shown in class. It was of a man entering heaven and meeting Peter and the gate into heaven. Peter says something to the effect, 'Theologian. You guys are always interesting." We discussed this comic in class. The discussion lent itself to how when we as humans use high flutent words to sum up our beliefs. We discussed how we need to have humility in what we believe. This reminded me once again of Pastor Richard Wurmbrand. He was a religious prisoner of the Communist Party in Romania. He says something very real about his own theology. He is talking about how he is a pastor and does not even know what he believes because he has taken on this role and does not know if he believes in God or he just role plays as if he believes in God. Being in the prison makes him think quite a bit about his theology. He says:
"I was kept in solitary confinement in this cell for the next two years. I had nothing to read and no writing materials, I had only my thoughts for company, and I was not a meditative man, but a soul that had rarely known quiet. I had God. But had I really lived to serve God or was it simply my profession? People expect pastors to be models of wisdom, purity, love, truthfulness, they cannot always be genuinely so, because they are also men so, in smaller or greater measure, they begin to act the part. As time passes, they can hardly tell how much of their behavior is playacting...Did I believe in God? Now the test had come. I was alone. There was no salary to earn, no golden opinions to consider. God offered me only suffering, would I continue to love Him?"(In God's Underground 45-47)

This reminded me of the comic. I believe the comic is posing the question of whether our theology matches up with our actions. Do we actually walk the the talk of what we believe and hold true. We all, as theiologians, may say what we believe to the whole world, but do live this out in our actions?

This quote from Pastor Wurmbrand reminds me of what my Professor Chris Anderson said today in class alos. He said that this class is all about looking at our believe system and questioning it, evaluating it against what we are learning in this class and then put it back together. That is what I think that Pastor Wurmbrand did here in his autobiography. He stepped back from the role he plays in life and evaluated it and then realized that it was not just a role play. He realized what he role played was what he thought was truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home