Wednesday, February 23, 2005

General to Specific

In class today we did an in class freewrite and this one I would like to put on my blog.
We started with:
Everyone says, ___________, but in my experience I have found __________.

Here is my freewrite.
Everyone in my circle of influence says, wives are to submit to their husbands, but I have found it is extremely difficult understanding exactly what "submitting" means. Am I to do everything my husband tells me? Can I ever make my own decisions?
Wives have a mind also and are still people even when they get married. Just because a women marries does not mean she no longer has an opinion or she can no longer make decisions.
My husband and I are trying to find the right balance in our relationship, which is no easy fete. I do believe and I want to submit to my husband, but I am still a person with thoughts and opinions. Just because I married does not make me a nonentity. My husband has the authority to make the final decisions, but should not have the right to make decisions for us without considering my thoughts and opinions about the subject.

What does this have to do with Montaigne?
In Montaigne's essays he goes form the general to the specific using a quotable quote more times often than not. Such things as: "It is not enough to toughen his soul; we must also toughen his muscles." From soul to muscles.
Another way this freewrite relates to Montaigne is that as I have said in my blog "of Repentance" Montaigne writes about himself, which is constantly changing. He says, "For likewise these are my humors and opinions; I offer them as what I believe, not what is to believed. I aim here only at revealing myself, who will perhaps be different tomorrow, if I learn something new which changes me."
This is exactly what I did in my freewrite. I wrote myself, which may change at any moment so I ask no one else to believe what I wrote, but just to listen and understand me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home